Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Benjamin John Stanton
- Lead interaction designer at Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- +44 7891 338 845
- Born 1983
I’m a user experience and interaction designer with over 14 years experience working in the public and private sector. I’m at my best when working in multidisciplinary teams. I design products and services in agile working environments, driven by evidence-based user needs.
I’ve worked with teams of different sizes and setups, including in-house, distributed and remote. I’m always looking to get feedback on my work, via show and tells, design critiques or by presenting to stakeholders.
I’m an advocate for accessibility, helping teams to do user research with people with access needs and organise external accessibilty audits. I’m passionate about making data more accessible, from charts and tables to downloadable spreadsheets.
- User experience design
- Responsive HTML and CSS
- Rapid prototyping
- Graphic design
- Office for National Statistics (ONS)
- October 2016 to today
- I’m a lead interaction designer and I work on ONS’s website and the 2021 Census. I head up a team of interaction and graphic designers. I’m responsible for designing products used by the UK public and internal teams to collect and publish data. I create user journeys maps, storyboards, prototypes and run user research and A/B tests. I’ve played a key part in making ONS’s services more accessible across web, social media and printed channels. I’m helping ONS to understand the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and the upcoming changes to accessibility regulations.
- Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
- May 2015 to October 2016
- Whilst working for Leadin (a Finnish service design agency) I spent my time at DVLA. I worked on the “Tell DVLA about a medical condition or disability” service as a senior UX designer. I spent time understanding how conditions like epilepsy, Parkinson’s and low vision can affect people’s ability to drive and access digital services. I built prototypes and iterated them based on user research findings, and created reusable design patterns and style guides. This lead to the service passing its government assessments.
- Other experience
- Between 2004 and 2015 I worked in-house at web design agencies and remotely as a freelance designer.
- University of West London
- 2001 to 2004
- Bachelor of Arts 2:1 in Digital Art and Animation
Hobbies and interests
Outside of work, I’m kept busy by my 3 young kids. I spend the weekends having fun with them – going for walks and watching the new She-Ra reboot on Netflix. When I get 5 minutes, you’ll find me blogging on my personal site.
Available on request.